Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year!

I have made no secret of my almost fanatical disdain of Christmas, which is sensible given that I am Jewish and furthermore do not love horribly repetitive music. People might be shocked to learn that I am, however, a fan of New Years Day. It is not because I believe that there is any significance in some arbitrary date that may have started somewhat around when Jesus was born; rather, I like it because it encourages people to better themselves, in the form of resolutions. Every year I like to have as many resolutions as possible. Some of them don't work as well as others, but at least I write them down. Here are some of my more G-rated resolutions for this year:

1. As always, don't lie to anyone about anything, ever, in any situation. I have this resolution every year, yet somehow I always manage to break it in one way or another. I can improve that probably.

2. Work out more. I need to get rid of this paunch.

3. Try to keep in better contact with friends that aren't around me. Along those same lines, try to hang out more with everyone. It's something I probably don't do enough. This poses a problem, as my next few classes will probably be very hectic.

4. Learn the entire works of Scott Joplin/Fryderyk Chopin on the piano. So I can just sit down and play something whenever I feel like it.

5. As always, keep an open and practical mind. Refuse to judge people on any specific ideas or tastes they may have. After a while this becomes hard.

6. Read as much as humanly possible, including the entire repertoire of at least 4 authors.

7. Try to keep as detailed a dream log as I can. This will probably prove to be the most difficult.

8. Regularly update this blog, at the very least once a day. Has to be a substantial blog post as well, not like this one.

9. Learn more about the following subjects, which I know very little about: sports, cars, economics, food.

10. Shave on a regular basis (very important).

Anyhow, I think 2008 will prove to be a very good year, provided that we aren't all nuked to death after President Huckabee declares Religious War II: Judgment Day. Iron Man is coming out in May. Lil' Wayne has a new album coming out at some point. Hopefully nothing by M. Night Shyamalan will be released. Most importantly, I think I will be a better and happier person, because I'm going to try a lot harder to be that way. Plus, I have all the love and support of my friends at Cornell, which matters to me a great deal. They can do no wrong in my book. Well, one of them can, but I'm not going to say who.

2 comments:

Juell said...

Hopefully you post the Unrated Director's Cut of these one of these days. I, for one, am curious.

Smarty said...

NathAAAAAAN!