Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The day before...

Two days without blogging this early in the game is not a good sign. I need to step up, but as always, I find myself at a loss of what to say. I was just studying for my final, one that promises to be possibly the easiest final of my college career. All night I've been reading about neoclassicism, minimalism, postminimalism, etc. in bite-size chunks, and I think I have a pretty good grasp on the classical music end of things. Regarding the popular music end? Not even a challenge, not even gonna study. A day or so back I had a quiz where I was asked to match certain musical artists to their genres, and the choices were like the Sex Pistols, Nirvana, the Bee Gees and Talking Heads. Needless to say, it was very easy.

One interesting thing I have noticed in the news is Germany's latest declaration regarding Scientology as a dangerous cult. Of course I am inclined to agree, for reasons more personal than one might expect, but this seriously infringes on anyone's right to religion. Now, I can understand that Scientology might pose a physical threat to certain people, and it is a very strange and seductive religion that has no qualms about fucking over its constituents. To a certain extent, that is their own fault, and the subjugation and brainwashing of kids is an unfortunate side effect of living in a semi-free democracy, and anyway Christians and Jews do it plenty too.

On the other hand, I understand that this is Germany we are talking about, and they know a thing or two about dangerous cults that restrict the essential freedoms and rights of humans. They must have a genuine concern, although I have yet to read what it actually is. It seems to me this all stems from Tom Cruise making some Nazi movie in Germany. Why all the Tom hate? Can someone explain this to me? Why no Travolta hate? He was the one who made the Passion of Scientology (which, I'm almost ashamed to say, I saw on opening day).

Regarding the "personal reasons" I was referring to earlier: my dad told me that a friend of his had a daughter who committed suicide as a result of monetary pressure from her Scientology church. At least that's what he said, I don't know if she readily admitted this before she killed herself. Sadly, this does seem to be how Scientology operates, at least according to L. Ron Hubbard:

"A Suppressive Person or Group becomes fair game. By FAIR GAME is meant, may not be further protected by the codes and disciplines or the rights of a Scientologist."

Basically, their doctrine is to completely destroy and demoralize anyone who dares criticize them. Well, I'll be one of many and call them out. Scientology is a crazy cult that does innumerable damage to defenseless children and adults alike. The church itself can be indirectly linked to the murder or suicide of several people within the church, yet they seem to operate outside the law. I don't care how wonderful Jerry Maguire or Road Hogs is, it is our duty to point this out.

No comments: