Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday poem

This is something I think I'm going to try to do every Friday. I'm starting with a rather old poem of sketchy quality, but probably next week I'll start trying to put more recent ones up. This is merely a ploy to get me to write more.

It's Teriffic!

Wasn’t born long after the rules of “fair play”
Proved to shatter my brittle bones, those worthless lies
I saw the eyes of a man
Much bigger and stronger than me.
Smarter too (not that it mattered)
As my shattered bones and organs shifted together
To spell out a word
To point out my crimes
It hurt enough to scare me straight
(Pitter patter goes my spleen)
Till I thought of those eyes.


I was left to lament my sorry dissected self
More toad than man, more boring than Man
It’s hard to keep one’s thoughts on it though
So I turned on the radio.


God I hate the radio.


A once valid method of pulling teeth
Slowly and surely, slowly and surgically
Spineless vibrations welling up my eyes
Switch from songs to static, you might be surprised.


You insolent dolt, that’s the morphine talking
Do the nerves in your brain even bother anymore?
What’s in store for you old man
Another house and a kitchen
To make more snacks (can you even do that?)
Take a rat and a toad and make them a deal
You give them a list but
You give them no choice
It’s enough to drum along
(Stop poking at my spleen dammit)
Paradiddle. Morphine no more.

No comments: