Sunday, December 23, 2007

Best album, or maybe thing, of the year

I notice that I've gotten absolutely no comments so far. I think it's because I haven't told anyone about this blog yet. I'm afraid to because the URL is so regrettable. Sacks Files? I don't know why I even did that, but I already regret it.

This past evening I was at some bar downtown talking to several friends about what they felt was the best album of the year. Greg said he thought it was the new Les Savy Fav album Let's Stay Friends, Peter has been pulling for Sunset Rubdown, and Mendelson favors Beyond, which I'm almost inclined to agree, if not for this monster of an album:



Grinderman is basically Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds stripped down to two guitars, bass and drums. It is excellent, very primal, very Stooges stuff, and Nick Cave is of course an excellent lyricist. "No Pussy Blues" is the song that everyone talks about these days, and justly so. It's just an incredible, emotional, hilarious piece of music that also rocks incredibly hard (something Nick Cave has had some trouble doing in the past). And I'm not even one of those people (rock critics) who love "No Pussy Blues" because it's so true to my life...well, the "no pussy" part yes, the "blues" part not so much. I can't do this song justice. It's the best thing Nick Cave has ever done. Just listen to it. I give it the highest accolades possible.

No comments: