Sunday, February 10, 2008

Practicum tomorrow, little sleep for me

Unfortunately it's times like this when I get very little sleep, and unfortunately I have nothing to help me with that. Have to wake up at 6 tomorrow too.

Anyhow Mendy has been commenting on my blog and I'm sure he doesn't know that he got me hooked on this song by Café Tacuba called "Volver A Comenzar." Check out an amazing live performance:



I'll let the man himself explain why it's so good:

I can say with little hyperbole that this is one of the best songs I've ever heard. It is an 8-minute single (an intrinsically awesome thing) by a band that, during my time there, struck me as the best in Mexico. Granted, I am a foreigner not inclined towards traditional Mexican music, but I know I’m not alone in this judgment.
But what can you even say about this song? From the immensely exciting buildup before the first verse to the point where the icy synth and tense guitars kick in, to Pinche Juan’s snarling delivery, to the unexpected section in the middle I’m tempted to call tender, to the part where the monster guitars kick back in after that, which is as exciting as hearing The Who for the first time ever, this is an absolute monster of a song. But also well-constructed, excellently played and really honest—it’s about getting old, thinking about your mistakes, not giving up and trying to start again. I have probably listened to this song upwards of 45 times, and I don’t think I could ever hear it and not think of December 2007.

The comparison to the Who I think is very apt, not particularly in musical style but in the fact it sort of builds up and slows down again, and then comes back for an explosive finish, kind of like "Won't Get Fooled Again" (the structure also mirrors "Disconnect the Dots" slightly). I've been really digging this song even though I don't speak a word of Spanish, and I was wondering if someone could translate the lyrics to me or something.

Seriously though, whoever plays the bass on this song has my undying love and affection. I didn't even know people could still play bass lines like that, especially with all the tricky rhythms during the breakdown.

This song is really fucking lush. You'd better love it. With songs like this, I don't see why illegal immigration is even a problem.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

yeah what a song! you ought to hear at least the first 5 songs on their (new) album "sino"--all of which are fantastic and one of which, "53100", sounds uncannily like a mexican "baba o'riley". the whole album's really good, but those 5...oh man...

agreed that "volver" doesn't sound like the who tho, i was trying to say it's as cool as the first time you ever heard a pete townshend power chord--you actually point out something beyond what i said that is true, i think

i'll work on translating the lyrics if i get time this weekend.

Aaron said...

well here’s what i came up with. i tried to translate it literally, for the most part. it's not perfect. “to repair” is particularly heinous; the english “repair” strikes me here as very prosaic, which is not the case in the song. but you can get the picture:

If I made a list of my errors
From the smallest to the worst
That exposed all the wounds
The fights, un-loves [?] and the lies

I will offer the aroma of amber
I will offer the cedar and my tears
With the patience of the sea I’ll wait
A lifetime that heals the confidence

If I started over
I wouldn’t have time to repair

If I made a voyage inside myself
And survived the laments
I would ask forces to say what I feel
If I returned in a voyage inside myself

If I started over
I wouldn’t have time to repair
The spilled water that is
The thirst I have that won’t satiate

[slower part; different singer]

How many more things can I save?
How many more things can I amass?
Sweet temptation to leave it all

How much more space can I occupy?
(until the memories no longer fit in this place)
How many things can I take?
(the last move must be the lightest)
Sweet temptation
To leave it all
Sweet temptation
To give/gift it all away

[back to the rockin’]

If I started over
I wouldn’t have time to repair

The spilled water that is
The thirst I have that won’t satiate [x2]